Thursday, August 03, 2006

Back with a bang and a crash

So I'm back home in the land of Blighty, I slipped back into British culture like a comfortable pair of shoes, aided by decent cups of tea and HP sauce (a mixed metaphor that's probably now conjuring images of worn shoes filled with tea and brown sauce). The adventures of a month ago now seem like a distant hazy dream, one that you can remember as having been really good but with details that become more shrouded as time passes. I can still feel that a change has occurred however, a new sense of purpose and focus that was lacking when I left has definitely become apparent on my return, I've just got to keep that feeling now and not lose the ground I've covered.

I've dropped back into the routine of work quite smoothly, it does help working for a company I like with people I like, though finding somewhere to live didn't prove to be as easy. Looking around at the shoe boxes that people have the audacity to call flats and seeing the money people are willing to charge (and presumably pay) for them I realized how lucky I was to have lived at my previous address.

I had thought I'd found somewhere but after contracts had been signed and money exchanged it became apparent that I'd actually agreed to live in a war zone. A longstanding disagreement between my landlord and the resident of the flat downstairs, that I found out from the police stretched back over a year, cumulated (at the end of a week of smashed windows and police) in a brick being put through the window of the property I was renting. I left there pretty sharpish (though my girlfriend did point out that after Malaysia why should I be bothered about a few bricks and some broken glass?) and moved back to mum and dad's (thankfully I had that option otherwise I'd have been royally fucked). I've since got my money back from the landlord (though only after threatening legal action) and have now found another (quieter) flat that I can move into at the end of the month.

As others have pointed out, you travel the world and do crazy stuff with no problems only to come back and get into trouble on your own doorstep. But the bad shit exists to make the good shit seem good, Yin and Yang you can't get one without the other and there has been much more joy on my return than sorrow.

I think also I came back with the expectation that I would be just able to pick up where I had left off, which is the wrong attitude to have. This is a brave new world now and I'm going to have to work hard to build on the foundations laid in Malaysia, I think a bit of adversity is a welcome slap in the face to remind me that life is a struggle and if it wasn't it wouldn't be half so interesting.

3 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Hi Adam,

Reading your blog, it seems there are so many coincidences between us! We'be both recently had to move back into our parents we're both web designers and we've both written about television being the drug of a nation! I would be interested to read that article, you can see mine which I wrote a month ago on my blog.

I've added a link to your blog
and if you read the latest, you'll guess how I came to find your blog.

The address is:
http://intuitiveblog.wordpress.com

Ian

1:41 am, August 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the UK!

Nigel says I must get you to show me "tiger press-ups". I look forward to it next time we get together.

Regards,

Nick

10:18 pm, August 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey matey, welcome back to the Island ;) When you get settled down and into things (and when I get my financial act together), we'll have to organise a get together... I imagine a busy pub or tea shop, with that timeless quality of the world rushing by outside. What do you think? :)

3:14 am, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home